We’re often surprised how many businesses have listing info that is inconsistent or simply incorrect. As a small business owner, it’s critical to pay attention to the following details to make sure customers find your business. The most common mistakes businesses make when listing their business online can have some major negative impacts. Avoid the following mistakes we have seen from businesses in Perch.
Business Name Inconsistency
- Make sure your business name is the exactly the same everywhere. When your business name is different on two or more listing platforms, Google often views these listings as two separate businesses. This will negatively impact the ranking of your business in local searches. For example: If your business name reads “Lola’s Salon” on one listing site but “Lola’s Salon & Style” on another, you are causing confusion for both Google search engines and customers.
- If customers find two separate locations for your business, they won't know which is correct. They might choose the competition instead. If your business has moved, be sure to update your address across all listing sites. Don't lose business because of inconsistency.
- When your business location is different on two or more listing platforms, Google often views these listings as two separate businesses. This will negatively impact the ranking.
Wrong Phone Number
- Be sure your phone number is the same across all platforms. If the phone numbers don’t match, search engines cannot validate if it's the same business.
- Check to make sure there isn’t an outdated phone number out there for your business.
Missing or Wrong Category
- If you don’t have a category listed for your business, you will miss the opportunity to show up in search results for the categories of your business and services.
- Even worse, the wrong category will turn away customers from your business.
- Google allows 10 categories, Yelp and Facebook allow 3 categories.
Not Listed Across Enough Places/Platforms
- The more reputable sources that link to your business, the better it is for your ranking. So include your website on your social pages!